Thursday, September 9, 2010

Yummy Two-Tone Banana Bread!


Hello G.U.M Followers! Wow, we are some busy mama's over here! So busy that none of us has blogged in over a month! Hopefully we'll kick that habit and get back in gear!

I've been given the opportunity to work less and be home more. My dreams of being a SAHM are so close I can't stand it! This was my first week going from working full time and being extremely exhausted... to now only working 15 and still be exhausted from all this baby growing! I now get to spend more time with my husband, my wonderful son and doing some things that I love: Baking, reading & organizing! I seriously have baked every day this week except for today! Here is one of the yummy tasty treats I baked for my family...


It's really easy! I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as mine did!

Two-Tone Banana Bread
(I got this recipe from Better Homes & Gardens: Holiday Baking magazine 2008)

Prep: 25 minutes
Bake:55 minutes
Cool: 10 minutes
Makes 16 servings

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4-5 medium)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted (I use unsalted)
1 tablespoon dark rum or milk
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled


1. Preheat oven to 350 (F). Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan; set aside. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, lemon peel, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, mashed bananas, sugar, melted butter, and rum. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Transfer one-third of the batter (about 1 1/4 cups) to a medium bowl; fold in melted chocolate.

3. Drop alternanting spoonfuls of plain and chocolate batters into the prepared pan. Using a table knife or narrow metal spatula, gently swirl through batters to marble.

4. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. If necessary, cover loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning.

5. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.


This bread makes your house smell wonderful! And the swirl effect that comes out when you slice it... is awesome!


Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment