Thursday, April 22, 2010

Decisions Decisions...

All is well here in the Ratliff household. My daughter Auburn never ceases to amaze me. Lately she has been learning something new every single day and i am feeling a little overwhelmed that she is growing up so fast and learning so much. I am struggling with something right now though in my personal life and that is trying to figure out how I'm going to get stable enough financially to support her for the rest of her life. I want to go back to school but I'm so distraught because the second i make a decision on something i want to do, something negative happens and turns me off to it. One instance is just recently i decided i wanted to go for teaching because of the great benefits and the perfect schedule i would have with Auburn, every holiday off, every summer off, and i would never have to stress about working crazy hours since my day to day would be set. I am having second thoughts now because all I hear in the news is that this country has a severe budget crisis on the line and teachers are going to be laid off. Good teachers will be laid off because our country cant afford them. That's awful and it makes me so fearful to go into something that i may never get a job doing. I keep soul searching and trying to figure out what i would enjoy, what would be best for my daughter and I, and what will support us!! Its so hard to figure this out. I have no clue what to do, so lately I'm feeling very lost. Any prayers for guidance sent my way would be greatly appreciated.



4 comments:

  1. HUGS! It's very hard to keep your head up when you feel like you are being shot down left and right. I don't know if it will work for you, but I know there is a national program out there that will pay for your school if you commit to work for 5 (I think) years in an under served area. The website will tell you where in your area they most need teachers. It's called the TEACH grant:http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/TEACH.jsp

    I know times are always tough for teachers, but I have many friends who are and love it. Do what you love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you are discouraged... as is ashley and lauren and worried for their jobs as well... but i think getting an education is the best thing. This way you and Auburn have options... and you can always rely on me for help with her. You never know maybe in a few years the need will turn around and they will cut budgets else where. I would do anything to go back school... and hope to in the near future. I hope you pray about it and you find your answers love!!!

    xoxoxo
    Lo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! This is just a personal suggestion because I too found myself in your situation... the best solution I could come up with is Medical Transcription. You choose your own hours, work from home, and make as much money as you want to make, depending on the amount of time you put into it. A program that you can also study online (from the comfort of your own home) that I used is called Career Step. (They have a website, check it out!) They give you tools and resources when you graduate to hook you up with employers. The program total is 2000.00. A less expensive route would be to just school at CNM. I think it is the PERFECT job for a woman looking to work but also be a stay-at-home mom. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristin thank you so much for your input. So have you started working the med trans yet??? Is it a high demand area??? I will definitely research it. I dont know much about it honestly but thank you very much for the suggestion and information I really appreciate it!!
    kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete